The City of Galva provides water and sewer service to residential and business customers.
Currently, the City of Galva has an excess capacity of 400,000 gallons per day (gpd) at our two water treatment plants.
Current excess capacity in our sewage treatment plants is as follows:
- North Sewage Treatment Plant: Excess flow capacity of 30,000 gallons per day (gpd) Excess organic treatment capacity of 3,000 PE (population equivalency)
- South Sewage Treatment Plant: Excess flow capacity of 200,000 gallons per day (gpd) Excess organic treatment capacity of 2,000 PE (population equivalency)
To get water turned on or turned off at your residence, please refer to the left sidebar or start by filling out the Application.
Residential garbage service is provided under contract by Eagle Recycling.
Those on the North side of the railroad tracks will have their garbage picked up on Mondays and those on the South side of the railroad tracks will have their garbage picked up on Wednesdays.
Certain holidays may delay garbage pickup by one (1) day:
- New Years
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
By ordinance, you cannot place your garbage on the terrace earlier than 4:00 p.m. the day prior to the regular and customary collection schedule, nor any later than 6:00 a.m. on the day of pickup.
Garbage receptacles must be removed from the terrace no later than midnight on the day that they are emptied.
- Brush - The City of Galva provides a free brush pick up service to its residential customers. This service is provided on a bimonthly basis as time permits. To have your brush picked up, ensure that:
- your brush pile does not exceed eight (8) feet in length,
- that it is neatly bundled, and
- that it is placed parallel to the curb so that it may be scooped into one of our commercial buckets or moved with a fork lift.
Please keep in mind that although brush may include parts of trimmed trees, it does not include entire trees that have been taken down by you or a commercial tree removal service.
If you are having a tree taken down, make sure that you or your contractor has provided for the disposal of the tree. You may call City Hall at (309) 932 - 2555 for instructions on when and where to dispose of trees.
- Yard Waste - The Street Department will pick up and dispose of residential yard waste from residents of the City of Galva on the First and Third Mondays of the Months of April through October (inclusive). No person shall set out for pick up, or cause to be set out for pick up, any yard wastes prior to 5:00 PM on Thursday immediately prior to the established pick up date, nor later than 7:00 AM on the day of yard waste pickup. Any yard wastes set out subsequent to pick up shall be immediately removed form the curb lawn area within 48 hours.
Yard waste is specifically limited to:
- wood chips
- grass clippings
- garden waste, such as weeds and stalks, and
- small branches and other tree of shrub parts small enough to fit into a yard waste bag
A yard waste bag is one that is biodegradeable in nature, up to fifty gallons in size, and when filled must weigh fifty (50) pounds or less.
Each bag must have an official label on it before it will be picked up. Labels for use on lawn waste bags must be purchased from the City. There will be a charge of $2.00 for each label purchased.
What to do if you have yard waste to dispose of in the months of November through March? Call City Hall at (309) 932 - 2555 to schedule a pick up date.
Based on the scheduled pick up date, bag your waste, tag your waste, and set it out for the street department.
The City has contracted with Eagle Enterprises Recycling, Inc. for its curb side recycling program. To obtain a recycling container, please contact Eagle Enterprises:
510 SE Industrial Ave Galva, IL 61434
You can check the recycling calendar for recycling pickup days on the Eagle Enterprises' website.