World War I


emil g. anderson

arthur r. beals

don cameron bell

george w. boggs

mark e. brown

marion vern brown

forrest h. carter

alexander charlton

gjerluf l. christensen

Robert Christian

carl g. dahlgren

elmer danielson

alfred w. danielson

arthur e. edwall

axel leonard edwall

robert h. eiker

howard k. ericson

carl c. fahnstrom

herbert f. flack

fred lloyd galbert

roy a. gibbs

fred I. gray

lloyd s. gustafson

louis r. p. hansen

gilbert headley

leslie r. huber

raymond h. hurlbutt

george maurice kermeen

glen h. kermeem

john a. kinvig

william e. leaf

walter j. larson

otto reuben lindahl

harry mabes

howard g. magnuson

don killip manley

robert s. miller

walter l. mortenson

john e. mugrace

theodore benton patton

axel a. peterson

george r. peterson

louis ralph peterson

glenn william reed

harry riesebieter

patrick roser

carl fredrick schwab

john c. sheahan

amil e. shostrom

edwin l. stephenson

archie glee stotts

virdi warren thomas

george a. todd

cleveland warden

dale n. west

charles r. williams

curtis w. wood


From The Battlefield

"Three thousand miles from home, an American army is fighting for you. Everything you hold worthwhile is at stake. Only the hardest blows can win against the enemy we are fighting. Invoking the spirit of our forefathers, the army asks your unflinching support; to the end that the high ideals for which America stands may endure upon the earth." —General John Pershing

To hear a recording of General Pershing's admonition to the American people courtesy of the Library of Congress click here.

Wilbur L. Hagberg

Deeply regret to inform you that Pvt. Wilbur Hagberg, Infantry, is officially reported as killed in action Sept. 14.

It was on November 20, 1918, when the telegram from the Adjutant General's office in Washington arrived at the Galva home of the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Hagberg, 925 West Division St., more than two months after his death at the age of 29.

Wilbur Lawrence Hagberg was the only Galva-Bishop Hill area soldier to be killed in action during World War I. The local American Legion post was named in his memory and later his name was joined by that of Dale Hamlin, the first Galva serviceman to die in World War II.

On each Memorial day a brief memorial service is conducted at the grave of Wilbur Hagberg in Bishop Hill cemetery.

Wilbur Hagberg's death came only four and one-half months after he entered service April 30, 1918, when he went to Camp Dodge, Iowa, with a Henry County draft contingent from Cambridge. Wilbur had been a partner of Bert Cole in a garage on Market Street here, but sold his interest to Fred Morley before entering service.

He was stationed at Camp dodge three weeks and then was at Camp Travis, Texas, three weeks. After only six weeks of training he received his overseas orders and landed at LeHavre, France, July 5.

In France, he was assigned to the 90th Division, Co. F of the 357th Regiment.

By mid-October, there were fears among members of his family and his friends that Wilbur might have been killed in action.

There was an ominous message in a letter received October 21 by Miss Nettie Englund, of Altona, a friend of Wilbur, written a month earlier by Earl Fitzpatrick, a member of Co. L, 357th:

Friend Nettie: If you will allow me to call you friend. I am sending you some things that were given me to mail. I feel sorry for the poor boy and also for you folks over there when you hear the bad news. I am in hospital 51 now. I was in the same drive with him.

The items sent included Wilbur's identification and a photo of Miss Englund which had been in his possession.

An inquiry sent to Red Cross headquarters in Washington resulted in this reply:

Have no record of your son wounded or dead.

His last letter, written September 6, eight says before his death, was received September 23.

Later, a letter was received by his brother Ralph from Sgt. George C. Stewart, who said Cpl. Walter West, of Woodward, Oklahoma, was only two or three feet from Wilbur when he was hit.

In the second push on the St. Mihiel front on the morning of September 14, 1918, Co. F was advancing over very difficult terrain when the platoon encountered a machine gun nest.

Your brother was firing an automatic rifle when he was struck in the right side of the chest with a machine gun bullet, the bullet piercing the heart and coming thru the body on the left side of the chest. it was a straight shot and death was instantaneous.

He was laid to rest on the hillside above the St. Maire farm, by a small railroad. He and two other men were buried in a shell hole near the place where they fell. He fell fighting gallantly...

A memorial service was conducted May 4, 1919, at the First Methodist Church by the Rev. Bartle.

The body was returned to the United States in 1921, with a final service June 26, and burial in Bishop Hill cemetery.

--George Swank, Galvaland Magazine, October 1963


Raymond H. Hurlbutt


F. Chester Peterson


Rudolph M. Nordeen