Vietnam War


roger ahlberg

john l. anderson

larry a. anderson

william h. anderson

charles f. bailey

mike bailey

jerry l. bainbridge

fred barlow

richard "rick" barlow

john benedict

donald w. bonar

frederick s. bonati

larry boostrom

George W. Brand Jr.

donald e. brock

jack burnett

kent burnett

roger carlson

ronald carrasca

ed cheline

william d. clague

ben clay

jerry l. clark

jerry collinson

curtis a. cook

james i. cowley

Daniel c. craig

ronald r. craig

thomas craig

wayne o. craig

richard g. davis

richard dexter

frank dillon

david doye

charles dykeman

melvin e. durant

james ehrenhart

burton empson

reynolds m. everett

daniel gale

john a. gearhart

mike gerard

murray grieve

wynn o. griffin

tim guss

thomas e. hartman

william hay

ronnie hepner

leland hultgren

james johnson

john c. johnson

richard johnston

paul w. kronsted

sam lindberg

roger a. linbom

ronald linbom

bernie lipke

paul w. lyon

robert leon mendel

robert l. murphy

lowell murray

greg nelson

jerry h. nelson

Randall Newman

harold nordeen

karl nordstrom

dewey d. olander

lee odell

william page

donald peterson

rod powers

john m. pratt

joseph w. raley

terry raley

harland rapp

dan richison

james ripka

dan robbins

johnnie robbins

donald g. ruhl

gene selman

leroy schoop

paul schmidt

paul schwab

robert l. shields

jerry smith

roger spiegel

anthony strand

dale s. sweat

ed thompson

gary vandevelde

Ross Walker

lawrence weaver

richard h. winter, jr.

john w. zetterberg


Infantryman John Kellet perished during the Vietnam War. He is memorialized on a stone which may be viewed in Veteran's Park.


John E. Kellett...

The casket arrived at the Quad City Airport, Moline, at 8:10 Tuesday evening, June 23, after the flight from Oakland, California, where Bernard Lipke became the official honor guard when he reached the west coast from Vietnam.

John was seriously wounded on June 12 when he stepped on a booby trap while on patrol. Both legs were broken and he sustained internal injuries, as well as deep cuts on his face and neck. A telegram to his parents described the wounds as serious and it was five days later, at 7:30 a.m., June 17, when the end came. An army officer from Galesburg informed the Kelletts of his death.

It was the second time in less than three months that John had been wounded. A grenade caused wounds on March 28, and he was hospitalized 10 days or two weeks before returning to duty.

In the family home at 410 Southeast 1st Street, his mother discussed John's military service and how his letters told of the number of days he had left to serve in Vietnam.

After graduation from high school in 1965, he entered Southern Illinois University at Carbondale for the 1965-66 term and was enrolled in Black Hawk college, Moline, during the first semester of the 1966-67 term.

On June 29, 1967, John was inducted into the Army and received his basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri, after which he was transferred to Ft. Polk, Louisiana.

His parents went to Ft. Polk in November to visit him and he came home at Thanksgiving time for a 21 day furlough, until December 17. Then John traveled by plane to Ft. Lewis, Washington, from where he called home on the 19th:

"In 20 minutes I'll be on the plane for Vietnam."

He arrived there on the 20th and was assigned to the 198th Light Infantry Brigade. Latter, he was transferred to the 196th Light Infantry Brigade, Co. D-3, 21st Infantry, which was his outfit at the time he was wounded.

John was born in Princeton on October 23, 1947, and was the only child of Robert and Frances Wade Kellett.

--excerpted from Galvaland Magazine, July 1968