Open Burning FAQ


Any refuse, except garbage and dead animals, generated on a farm or ranch by crop and live stock production practices, including such items as bags, cartons, dry bedding, structural materials and landscape wastes.

Refuse generated on single-family domiciliary property (as opposed to say, a farm) as a result of domiciliary activities makes up this form of waste. Domicile waste includes landscape waste, but excludes garbage and trade wastes.

Garbage is refuse that results from the handling, processing, preparation, cooking and consumption of food or food products.

Landscape waste is identified as any vegetable or plant refuse, except garbage. Landscape waste includes trees, tree trimmings, branches, stumps, brush, weeds, leaves, grass, shrubbery, yard trimmings and crop residues.

Refuse is any discarded matter or any matter which is to be reduced in volume or otherwise changed in chemical or physical properties, in order to facilitate its discard, removal or disposal.

The area within the boundaries of the City plus a zone extending one mile beyond the boundaries thereof.

Any refuse resulting from the prosecution of any trade, business, industry, commercial venture, utility or service activity and any government or institutional activity, whether or not for profit. Trade waste includes landscape waste but excludes agricultural waste.