Cemetery FAQ


Yes. A "Permit For Disposition Of Dead Human Body"; issued by the Illinois Department of Public Health's Division of Vital Records is required before someone can be buried in the Galva Cemetery.

Typically, the funeral home provides the City with a permit for disposition, which the City then uses to issue the Burial Permit. On occasion, the funeral home will provide the permit for dispositon to the family, which then must provide the City with a copy of the permit. Once the City receives the permit for disposition, it can issue the Burial Permit.

The City does not charge a fee for receiving and processing the Permit for Disposition.

The City does not charge anything for a Burial Permit.

The Galva Cemetery is cared for and regulated on three different levels. Currently, the Supervisor of Streets and Parks, commonly referred to as the Street Supervisor, is charged with the care and superintendency of the cemetery grounds. Appointed by the Mayor, with the advice and consent of the council, the Street Supervisor is the de facto caretaker, or Sexton, in charge of the Galva Cemetery. A Board of Cemetery Managers advises the city council on matters of policy, procedure and practice for the operation of the Galva Cemetery. In addition, the Board receives and controls perpetual care funds and other monies whether received by gift, legacy or endownment when such are designated for the care of the cemetery. Lastly, the city council governs the Board of Managers by local ordinance.

A permit authorizing disinternment is required before a body can be removed from the cemetery.

By making application to the City Clerk stating the number of the Block and Lot and making arrangements for payment, after which the Clerk will execute a warranty deed for the same in the name of the Mayor and City Council.

You may make arrangements with the City Clerk's office to pay for your space(s) over time.

The City does not repurchase grave spaces. However, as owner, you may dispose of a space or the use of a space at your discretion. Ownership of lots must be transferred by deed, said deed to be filed for record with the City Clerk before any rights thereunder accrue.

If any owner of a lot or part of a lot dies intestate, all rights, title and interest in said lot shall descend to the heirs of the deceased owner in equal undivided shares. The devisees or heirs must furnish and file with the City Clerk proof of ownership or the right to the use of the lot or part of lots before such ownership or interest shall accrue or be enforceable.

Yes. Application for the erection of monuments, headstones, benches or urns shall be made to the City Clerk and shall be accompanied by a fee as ordained in the rates and fees schedule. Once a permit is issued, the applicant must effect the delivery of said permit to the Sexton.