Welcome to our site
Galva FUMC Announces iServe...
On June 10th and June 11th, the Neighbors in Christ Parish of United Methodist Churches will hold their annual iServe event in service to God and the community.
Saturday, June 10th is our day of service to the wider community.
Anyone in the Galva or Bishop Hill area can ask for assistance in completing projects they cannot do on their own.
Volunteers will provide free help with yard work, painting, building repair, household cleanup and simple errands.
Nonprofit organizations can also receive assistance with projects on their property.
Some financial help is available to purchase supplies for projects.
Anyone who wishes to have a project completed by the iServe volunteers will need to complete an iServe Application. They are available at Galva City Hall, the Library, Senior Citizens Center, the banks, Lincoln House, the post office, the laundromat, Bishop Hill Community United Methodist Church, Galva First United Methodist Church, Grace United Methodist Church, Congregational Church, Messiah Lutheran Church, St. John Catholic Church.
Your application must be returned to the parish office at 214 NW 2nd Avenue in Galva or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 29th.
Once the Application has been processed, persons organizing work teams will be in contact to get more details on the work to be done and to visit the work site to confirm that volunteers will be able to complete the work requested. The planning team will organize work teams in early May. To volunteer, simply contact the parish office at 932-2460 or the email listed above.
On Sunday, June 11th, there will be fellowship time with refreshments beginning at 9:30 a.m. at First United Methodist Church. Worship will begin at 10 a.m. After worship, everyone is welcome to stay for a free cookout meal and sundae bar. All are welcome to be part of this time celebrating God's love for us and our call to serve one another in love.
American Legion Announces April Events:
The Galva American Legion will be holding a community breakfast at the Galva Legion Building located at 45 Wallace Street on 9 April, 2017 from 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. They will be serving all you can eat pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy, coffee, milk and orange juice.Pop and bottled water are available for an extra charge.A donation of $6.00 is appreciated.
On 22 April, 2017, the Galva American Legion will sponsor a Texas Holdem Tournament at the Legion Building. Sign in starts at 5:00 p.m. and play will start at 6:00 p.m. The entry fee is $50 and one rebuy will be available for $25.00. Food and drink will be available.
Bishop Hill Celebrates Spring!
The historic site of Bishop Hill will begin the 2017 season with kick-off activities on Saturday, April 1.
This is the weekend when we say goodbye to a long winter and get out and enjoy everything anew.
Shops, restaurants, galleries, and museums will be open for the season and will offer delights certain to be crowd pleasers.
Check out the following Spring Jubilee activities:
- Join the Vasa National Archives and Museum for an opening reception from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. for their new exhibit. This exhibit will display Swedish and Swedish American handicrafts, art, and the rise of the handcraft (sjöld) movement in Sweden. Light refreshments are available throughout the day.
- Garden Thyme will be hosting a Spring Birdhouse Gourd Workshop. Folks can paint a gourd for the birds to enjoy in their gardens. The fee is $25 and includes the gourd and all paint supplies. Call 309 373-5314 to sign up for this workshop.
- The Bishop Hill Museum will be providing bird nesting materials for people to put in their yards. The museum is located at 304 South Bishop Hill Street.
- The Colony Store will be having children activities. A reading area will be set up for children to read books or be read to, and in addition, there will be origami demonstrations.
- Beginning at 10 a.m. there will be a Toy Tractor Weekend in the Steeple Building Museum. A large variety of John Deere, Case, and International Harvester toy tractors and farm implements will be on display and for sale. Call 309 927-3899 for more details.
Mark your calendar for these other upcoming April events in Bishop Hill. On April 22 at the Dairy Building, there will be a scholarly program about The Humor of Abraham Lincoln. Also, on April 22, there will be the Swedish Stomp, a 5K run, and Skamperoo for the kids. On April 28, the Vasa National Archives will be hosting their annual Valborg Bonfire and Weiner Roast.
Bring the whole family and help celebrate Swedish culture and heritage in Bishop Hill, Illinois. Pick up your 2017 Visitor’s Guide to help with your plans for attending all of the season’s events and activities. Visit http://bishophill.com for further information or call 309 927-3899.
Machinery Pete Comes to Galva...
Jerry and Connie Kuster give Machinery Pete a tour of their International Harvester (and more) collection.