did you know...
The Galva Park District first opened in the summer of 1966.
Washington Park was originally called "Washington Square."
"College Park" was renamed Wiley Park in 1933.
"Railroad Square," fondly referred to as the "Frog Pond" by early Galvans, was renamed "Central Park" in the 1930s. In 1968, "Central Park" became Veterans Park in recognition of Galva's many veterans.
Galva is home to three municipal parks and host to the Galva Park District, which was annexed by the City in 1968.
The City of Galva's Street Department is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of Washington Park, Wiley Park, and Veteran's Park.
The Galva Park District Board is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of Park District assets (land, buildings and equipment). Even though the City of Galva annexed the Park District in order to provide municipal services such as police and fire protection, and water and sewer connections, the Park District, much like the Galva Library District, is its own taxing authority (jurisdiction).
To reserve a municipal park shelter, or to reserve Veteran's park for a special event, check availability by clicking on the calendar icon below.
Information concerning the use of Galva Park District.
|© 2011 - 2013 City of Galva, Henry County, Illinois|